Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Math Stations

I explained how I go about my Reading Stations, but how do I do my math stations?
They are very similar. I do a modified Daily 3.
  1. I put students in flexible, differentiated groups. I usually end up with 4. I try to limit them to 6 students in a group, if possible.
  2. Students rotate with their group.
  3. I set a timer for when stations are done. I use: http://www.timeme.com/alarm-clock.htm My stations are color coded to match the clock. I usually use "drum" for the end of a station and "Ba Dah 16 sec" for clean up.
  4. Each student has links on their computer. Here is a sample of what it looks like:


  5. Each day of the week I focus on a different domain of Common Core. Each station will focus on that domain for the day.
    1. Monday: Counting & Cardinality
    2. Tuesday: Operations & Algebra
    3. Wednesday: Numbers in Base 10
    4. Thursday: Measurement & Data
    5. Friday: Geometry
    6. Done with work: Math Fact practice
  6. Stations:
    1. Teacher Station: I play a lot of games that focus on the domain for the day. They are gathered from a lot of different sources. My favorite is: Fishing. I use her template for math facts but also for sight words. I needed a good game for Numbers in Base Ten, so I created Feed the Polar Bear (Teen Numbers). Students use printed fish with ten sticks (Get it? Fish sticks. 😁) and cubes to make a given number. If they get a polar bear card, they have to feed the bear that many sticks and cubes. The student with the most fish cards wins. I have a version that is more difficult and an easier version in my store. 
    2. Math with Someone: Students play a game on the floor.
    3. Math by Myself: Students do games on the computer. They mainly use the website, MegaMath, which is part of our curriculum, Math Expressions. I have symbaloos created for each domain. If you use Math Expressions, you can use the following links:
      1. Monday: https://edu.symbaloo.com/shared/AAAABM3HrbwAA41_k-YVkg==
      2. Tuesday: https://edu.symbaloo.com/shared/AAAABNKfe1AAA41_k-YsUg==
      3. Wednesday: https://edu.symbaloo.com/shared/AAAABNKs6JQAA41_k-YsXQ==
      4. Thursday: https://edu.symbaloo.com/shared/AAAABNK229cAA41_k-YsgA==
      5. Friday: https://edu.symbaloo.com/shared/AAAABNK-zQEAA41_k-Yskw==
      6. Done with work: https://edu.symbaloo.com/shared/AAAABPYJsVkAA41_k-cGbA==
    4. Math Writing: In the past, I have had several SMARTNotebook files that have students solve problems and create their own. I am always updating these files. I have a file for each domain. Right now, we are required to do 20 minutes a week of the program, i-ready lessons. So, I changed my icon to have students practice that instead of doing the files.
    5. Friday Special: I have my Friday Teacher Station and Math with Someone Station focused on a STEM activity. I do 2 stations because they need more time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daily 5 (ELA) & Daily 3 (Math)

This year, we have the great pleasure of the creator and author of "The Daily 5," Gail Boushey, coming to our school to do profes...